Today internet connections with a speed of 10 Mbps or more are a common thing. But these connections come with a catch, or the so called necessary evil, Fair Usage Policy. This is what the condition is in India right now. No doubt internet connectivity has seen drastic improvements in the recent years, but it’s still a long way to go until high speed internet connections become affordable.
So even if you are able to subscribe to a 10Mbps or higher internet connection, you will pretty much be limited to around 50GB or more of bandwidth. When the 50GB of bandwidth is exhausted, your internet speed might be reduced to anything below 1 Mbps. In true sense, your internet connection is actually 1 Mbps unlimited rather than the 10 Mbps as advertised.
If you are a single user, it will be easy for you to manage the bandwidth for a whole month. But if the internet connection is being shared by others. Then you should go ahead and limit the bandwidth. Nobody knows when updates for windows or a game might arrive and part of your internet bandwidth gets sucked up within a few minutes.
Most routers have a option to limit the internet bandwidth. I am using the TP link 300M Wireless N Router Model No. TL-WR841N. This router has a option to limit the internet bandwidth and here’s how you can limit the internet bandwidth on it.
How to Limit Internet Bandwidth on a TP Link Router
- Step 1: Type in the following IP address in a web browser and press enter : 192.168.1.1
- Step 2: Enter the username and password to login into the router’s admin panel. The username and password is usually same i.e. admin.
- Step 3: Once logged into the admin panel, click on Bandwidth Control > Control Settings from the menu on the left.
- Step 4: Select Enable Bandwidth Control
- Step 5: Select Line Type as Other.
- Step 6: Here Egress bandwidth is equal to upload speed and Ingress bandwidth is equal to download speed. So set the upload and download speed according to your requirement and click on save.
That’s it, you have now successfully limited the internet bandwidth. the process should be same for all Tp link consumer routers, but in some cases, the option name might differ.
Note: The above bandwidth limit will be applicable for both wifi and lan users.
Add to favorite