The possibilities of someone owning a Mac and Android device might be very less, but if you do own both of these then you must have faced a genuine problem that i have too faced recently.
On windows it just takes a tap to tether your android device and share its internet connection with a pc or a laptop. However the same is not possible with a Mac computer. By default Mac doesn’t have the drivers required to tether an android device’s internet connection, which is why tethering your android device’s internet connection will not work on a Mac.
Fortunately, a developer named Joshua wise was kind enough to take the responsibility of making an unofficial Android USB tethering driver for mac. Thanks to Joshua, HoRNDIS ( Pronounced Horrendous ) was developed and now Android users can easily tether their Android phone’s internet with a Mac or Macbook.
So for those who want to tether their android device to a Mac or Macbook and share its internet connection, here’s how you can do so.
How to Install the HoRNDIS driver on your Mac Computer.
- Step 1: Download the latest HoRNDIS drivers from the following link and copy them to your Mac.
HoRNDIS: USB tethering driver for Mac OS X
- Step 2: Run the HoRNDIS installer on your Mac computer and install it.
- Step 3: Restart your Mac computer once the driver is installed.
Tethering your Android device’s internet connection with an Mac Computer.
- Step 1: Connect your Android device with your Mac using an USB data cable.
- Step 2: Turn on the data connection on your android device and go to your phone’s settings.
- Step 3: Tap on the More option under Wireless and Networks.
- Step 4: Tap on Tethering and portable hotspot.
- Step 5: Tap on USB tethering to enable USB tethering on your Android device.
- Step 6: There you go, you can now surf the internet on your Mac computer.
I have tested the HoRNDIS drivers on a Macbook air with OS X Yosemite ( 10.10 ) and it works flawless all the time. If the drivers are not working for you, make sure to check if your android device is being detected in the network settings. Here’s how its should look.
Yosemite, followed the instructions, installed the driver, enabled usb tethering on android phone…but
In network, i see usb device on left side, but i see no IP address etc. on right hand pane its empty.
It worked.. must reboot the Mac…