With the release of Windows 8.1 , Microsoft has officially denied the availability of windows 8.1 as ISO files to the public . Currently windows 8.1 ISO images are only available to Technet , Dreamspark and MSDN subscribers . So your only option to upgrade to windows 8.1 will be by using the windows app store .
If you are having multiple PC’s at your home or your workplace . then it will be a PITA to update all those PC’s by downloading a 3.5 GB update on each PC . Depending on your internet download speeds , it might even take a very long time to update all those PC’s to windows 8.1 . Instead you can follow the instructions below and download a windows 8.1 ISO file .
Thanks to Microsoft’s stupidity , Actually anybody can download the Microsoft windows 8.1 ISO files from Microsoft , but all you need to have is a retail windows 8 product key . If you use your genuine windows 8 product key then you can use a workaround to download windows 8.1 ISO files from Microsoft itself .
We are not sure for how long this workaround will work as Microsoft may anytime patch this loophole . So follow this guide and download the windows 8.1 ISO image as soon as possible .
Instructions to download Windows 8.1 ISO files
Note : This method is a workaround to download windows 8.1 ISO files , but you will not be able to select from a 32 bit or 64 bit windows 8.1 ISO image . Depending on the version of the OS you are using , you will get the respective 32 bit or 64 bit windows 8.1 ISO images .
- Step 1: Open this page in your browser : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only
- Step 2: Scroll down and click on “ install windows 8 “ and a setup file will be downloaded .
- Step 3: Run the downloaded file and enter your windows 8 product key . Next the installer will show you the version of windows which will be download . Click next to download it .
- Step 4: When the download starts , cancel the download immediately by closing the installer window .
- Step 5: Visit this page again : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only and this time click on “ install windows 8.1 “ to download the windows 8.1 installer assistant .
- Step 6: Run the downloaded setup and it will display “ Download is interrupted “ . Close the installer and run it again . Now it will start downloading windows 8.1 .
- Step 7: When the download is complete , the installer will provide you with three options to install windows 8.1 . Select ” Install by creating media ” from the options and click on next .
- Step 8: On the next window select to save windows 8.1 as a ISO file and you will have a windows 8.1 ISO image .
Burn the windows 8.1 ISO image to a DVD or save it on your PC for later use . You have actually fooled Microsoft . Well this seems justifiable since Microsoft should provide windows 8.1 ISO for everyone . Imagine somebody losing or damaging their windows 8.1 disks , how are they supposed to get a new windows 8,1 DVD instantly ?
Fails using Win 8 key (Dell) — this does not help download 8.1 for us 8.0 users … so this is for?!?
Thank you worked for me I had to search email for my original 8.0 key
we can directly install 8.1 or else first install win 8 pro and then update to 8.1….
can u give the win 8 64 bit download link
This doenst work…
if we do this .. and if we again reinstall the windows does we have to put the same key or we can refer another one ?
it seems that M$ already patched the loophole…. sadly…